During Destruction

The logging began and burrows were decimated, bulldozed and flattened, large cut down trees were felled above the entrances to burrows, other entrances were blocked by debris, soil, logs and branches. A road was built above an active burrow; tonnes of cut down timber were piled up above another burrow.

At this stage, our friend Linda Dennis from Fourth Crossing Wildlife kindly offered to write a blog “Glenbog Blog" to record the daily activities. Linda took care of the blog as well as the social media section with an ever-increasing audience.

As the logging finished each day, we went out to clear debris dumped on burrow entrances, we dug out back filled burrows trying to re-open the entrances so the wombats could escape a horrendous slow death. With our GPS, shovels, picks, a crowbar and torches, we worked until the darkness set in. We spent every weekend searching for the burrows we had missed during the week in an utterly changing decimating depressing landscape.

There was no consideration for haulage time and we were never contacted or received any phone calls regarding injured animals. Eight weeks after the logging started in a specific section with a low number of burrows, we found an injured, (head/facial trauma) wombat who also had early clinical signs of mange.

We found another deceased wombat under logging debris.

Mange became wide spread in the surviving wombats living at the edges of the logging zones. (Before logging started, we did not find one single wombat with mange). After the contractors finished a section, we followed up with mange treatment and “food drops” of hay in the remaining “saved” burrows.